skip to main content

Property Repairs

If you are facing challenges in getting your home repaired or rebuilt contact Residential Advisory Service

The Residential Advisory Service (RAS) is a free and independent service to assist homeowners who are yet to finalise their earthquake or natural disaster insurance claim/s where they: 

  • require clarity around their insurance policy entitlements 
  • disagree with another party over their repair or rebuild
  • are frustrated or confused about the complex matters involved in getting their homes rebuilt or repaired, or 
  • communication has broken down with the insurer or EQC. 

If this is you call RAS on +64 3 379 7027 or 0800 777 299 to register for assistance.

Work and Income Support

If you need help for essential repairs for your home, Work and Income may be able to help. It depends on your situation. Visit Work and Income Support for more information. 

Healthy Homes 

  • The healthy homes standards aim to improve the quality of rental homes in New Zealand.  A warmer and drier home will provide a more healthy living environment for the tenants, and better protecting a landlord’s investment. 
  • The healthy homes standards introduced specific and minimum standards for heating, insulation, ventilation, moisture ingress and drainage, and draught stopping in rental properties.  It is useful for landlords to consider these when repairing your flood damaged homes.
  • A healthy homes compliance statement is now required to be included with most new, or renewed, tenancy agreements.  This indicates the landlord’s current level of compliance with the health homes standards.  From 1 July 2021, private landlords must ensure their rental properties comply with the healthy homes standards within 90 days of any new, or renewed, tenancy.
  • For more information on the healthy home standards and the compliance timeframes, see Tenancy Services website: There are also guidance documents for each of the five standards to help you better understand the requirements.
  • If your rental property has been damaged in a natural disaster, talk together with your landlord or tenant to discuss the current condition of the damaged home and what may need to happen for the repairs to be done safely. See Tenancy Services website for more information: Repairs after a natural disaster.
  • Hawke’s Bay Regional Council can assist with funding and grants for clean heating, insulation, solar power systems, double glazing, water storage and septic tanks, all to make your home a healthy and efficient place to live - Sustainable homes
  • Here are some tips to help keep your home warm, dry and free of mould - Healthy home tips
  • If you are living with children who get sick often and your home is damp, cold and/or difficult to keep warm, you may be eligible for the Child Healthy Housing Programme.

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© - / +64 6 000 0000 /